FAQ for Volunteers
FAQ for Volunteers
Where your professional skills help a lot of good people.
Community Tax Aid (CTA) clients are hard working and deserve refunds, but complicated tax laws limit their ability to do their own taxes. The IRS or expensive commercial tax preparers are not the answer. Community Tax Aid is.
WHAT IS CTA?
- An all-volunteer non-profit organization (since 1969) that provides FREE tax preparation service to low-income New Yorkers from mid-February through mid-April.
- A group of community-minded finance, business and legal professionals, as well as students from business and law schools.
- A self-governing program, with no paid staff, which operates with the assistance of community organizations in many NYC neighborhoods.
WHO ARE CTA’s CLIENTS?
- Those with low incomes: workers, retired people, NYC residents who may just be eligible for a refund. Eligibility for our service is based on income. CTA never charges a fee for service.
- Eligible clients who need help in their native language.
- Clients who need representation at the Internal Revenue Service or State Tax bureaus (also provided free).
WHAT IS MY COMMITMENT ?
- Attend training sessions in late January/early February. (6-7 hours on either two weekday evenings or on one Saturday).
- Serve as little as two hours a week in the evening or on Saturdays or Sundays from mid-February through mid-April.
WHAT WILL I ACHIEVE?
- Learn as you interview clients, prepare returns, meet CTA’s review standards, and assist other volunteers.
- Spur your professional and personal growth as you work through challenges.
- Become aware of the problems faced by low-income individuals.
- Earn CPE credit (for CPAs) with CTA training and 8 hours of volunteer tax preparation.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
- Email your name, address, phone number and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is not a commitment to serve, just a request to be put on our mailing list. For further information, see our website. No computer? Mail info to Community Tax Aid, Cathedral Station, PO Box 1040, New York, NY 10025